Toowong and District Historical Society Inc.
The Toowong and District Historical Society Inc. researches, collects and records the history of the suburbs of Toowong, Milton and Auchenflower, and also part of Mt Coot-tha. These suburbs were formerly administered by the former Shire of Toowong, which was created on 20 May 1880.
TDHS has a small band of volunteer researchers to assist with inquiries. The Society values the sharing of resources and information and asks our inquirers to share what they find. TDHS does not charge for research but is grateful for any donations, while researchers may ask to be reimbursed for expenses incurred in acquiring information eg postage, photocopying and purchase of title deeds.
If you have anything to share about these areas (e.g. photos, stories, family histories), we would love to hear from you.
Learn more about our group here.
We meet monthly on the fourth Friday of the month from January to November.
Where : The Society meets at the West Toowong Bowls Club, Bywong Street, West Toowong. (Unless advised otherwise). Members and guests are invited to bring their own tea or coffee to drink before the meeting starts. Please note that the West Toowong Bowls Club bar opens at 11.00 am. As well as the usual drinks, snacks and non-alcoholic drinks are available for purchase.
When: Fourth Friday of the month (except December) from 10 a.m.-12 noon
Topics: Monthly meetings feature a guest speaker on topics of historical interest and have included family histories, guest speakers from various historical institutions, book talks by published historians, biographies, the history of other areas, local community organisations, schools and churches, and a wide variety of other topics.
A Members’ Meet and Greet is held three times a year. Members and guests are invited to provide short presentations upon a chosen theme including aspects of their personal family history, local area reminiscences, or other aspects of historical interest.
Learn how you can become a member here.
Lauriston House, Auchenflower
Recent research following an inquiry has unearthed the first convalescent home for returned WW1 nurses which was established by the Red Cross at Chaseley Street, Auchenflower in 1919. The Red Cross fundraised extensively and searched for a house with enough space and facilities to meet the need. In October 1919 it purchased 27 Chaseley Street Auchenflower and after some modifications it was opened as a rest home for returned World War 1 nurses who, although discharged as fit, required extra care and attention. The house could accommodate 13 nurses for two weeks rest and care, had spacious grounds and tennis court, six bedrooms, a wide sleep out verandah, dining room, and all the mod cons including well equipped kitchen with gas and a septic system throughout. It was well utilised until late 1920 when it was decommissioned as the number of nurses requiring it’s care had dwindled.
Image: Lauriston House, Page 28 of the Queenslander Pictorial, supplement to The Queenslander, 25 October, 1919. John Oxley Library, SLQ.
97,958 total views, 17 views today