Are you interested in the history of the Toowong area?
Toowong and District Historical Society preserves and promotes the history of the local area. There are many ways you can get involved: you can become a member, you can volunteer, you can attend events and buy our publications.
Becoming a member
New members are always welcome!
Cost: Membership of the Toowong and District Historical Society is open to everyone. Annual membership fee is $20 payable in May.
Benefits: When you join the Toowong and District Historical Society, you gain access to people and resources to help you discover more about your suburb and the people who lived here. The Society holds monthly meetings and all are welcome to attend. Many of these meetings also include guest speakers who not only provide insights into the history of Toowong and its pioneer families but also to the history of Brisbane and its environs.
As a member, you will receive newsletters, updates and free use of our library and research collection.
Please browse our newsletters for articles and information about the history of the local area.
Support: By becoming a member of the Society, you can help to support and sustain the activities of the many volunteers who work to document and preserve Toowong’s history. As a member, you can gain a greater understanding of Toowong’s past while connecting yourself to Toowong’s future.
- Visits to places of historical significance which are not always open to the public;
- Celebrate festive events with members, past speakers and guests;
- Email access to events hosted by other organisations interested in history;
- Participate in joint activities with other community and history groups;
- Arrange theme displays;
- Know that you are helping to preserve the history of Toowong.
Download the Membership Form and get started on your historical journey of Toowong!
The Toowong and District Historical Society is run entirely by volunteers. Get involved! Help us preserve the history of our beautiful area.
Volunteering opportunities include:
- photographing buildings, events, people in the local area
- assisting with school and other group visits
- developing resources for schools to use
- interviewing (oral histories)
- researching people, places or events
- documenting aspects of the area’s history; sourcing material relating to Toowong and District’s past
- indexing projects
- digitisation of images and ephemera
- preparing exhibitions and displays
- assisting to organise walks and talks
- assisting with social media
- joining the committee
Publications and Newsletters
TDHS conducts research into the local area and produce many publications based on this research. See our list of publications here.
Read our newsletters for local news and more research.
7,226 total views, 4 views today