Planning an objection to a property development proposal

Many old houses in Toowong have been demolished in recent years to make way for low rise units, town houses and high rise apartment blocks. This process has accelerated particularly since the approval of the Toowong and Auchenflower Neighbourhood Plan. The Toowong and District Historical Society realise that such demolitions cause distress for householders and owners of adjacent properties, who will be overshadowed or impacted by the development.
Objections to such a development should be lodged with the Brisbane City Council through their pdonline portal. Heritage listing of a property, or character housing classification of a precinct that was constructed prior to 1946 are some of the reasons for denial of the development application.
The Toowong and District Historical Society does not have the resources to undertake research for individual owners about the history of their house, or to propose an objection to a development on their behalf. However we can suggest a number of steps you can take that will help you obtain information about the age of your house and the earlier ownership of the property and how to go about researching the proposed development on the site and lodging an objection to that development.

Determining the date of construction for pre-1946 houses in Brisbane requires some research as extant building records in this period are incomplete. The City Archives can advise on research methods and holds a number of records that can assist in house research. They also offer reference assistance to customers who visit or phone the Archives.

Below is a link to the City Council guide to researching house histories which includes hyperlinks to relevant resources. For a pre-1946 house a titles search is recommended to determine who owned the land when the dwelling was constructed. The title record may also indicate when a mortgage was first taken out on the land to finance the construction of the dwelling.

The other records held by the City Archives which may be useful in determining the age of a dwelling are the detail plans. The date of these will vary for each suburb depending on when the sewerage surveys were undertaken. These maps can be made available online as per the instructions on the detail plan “room” on the Library catalogue.|||1|||0|||true

You can visit or contact the City Archives for further assistance. Information about the opening hours and location can be found at:

Records of freehold ownership of each property can be obtained from the Museum of Lands, Mapping and Surveying, Land and Spatial Information, Department of Natural Resources and Mines. The Senior Curator of the Museum may be able to guide you through the process. Contact details are; T (07) 3896 3000

Copies of images of titles deeds for individual properties can be purchased for $18.15 each from the Department’s business centres: The phone number for the Woolloongabba Business Centre is 07 3896 3216.

If you wish to obtain information about a development proposal lodged with the Brisbane City Council on a specific property you need to look up the Brisbane City Council website and access the planning and development section—pd online. Take the following steps:—

  • Brisbane City Council
  • Planning and building
  • Pd online and resources
  • Pd online search tool
  • Property enquiry new property enquiry agree to terms property enquiry select suburb street name street number applications
  • Besides the street number you may also search under the development proposal number that is listed on the public notice.

Prepared by the Toowong and District Historical Society Inc.with information provided by the BCC Archivist, Brisbane City Council Archives. (05.07.2016)