Early lease and landholders: dates and details

  • 1 March 1852: Robert Cribb purchased the first allotment of freehold land (2 acres 1 rood in size) offered by the Crown at auction along the Brisbane River between Milton and Toowong and described as Western Suburban Allotment No 1 and located in the Milton area along Milton Reach.
  • 28 January 1854: James Henderson purchases the two allotments of freehold land offered by the Crown by auction in the Toowong area and described as Allotments 25 and 26 (31 acres 5 roods 5 roods in size).  
  • 16 December 1863 Robert Cribb purchased freehold land described as Allotment 28 offered by the Crown by auction (38 Acres 3 roods 30 perches in size) and located on Toowong Creek.

Cribb later acquired neighbouring conjoining properties and established a farm here known as ‘Lang Farm’.  

  • 14 May 1862 Richard Langler Drew purchased freehold land described as Allotments 293 & 294 offered by the Crown by auction and located along Toowong Creek inland from its mouth into the Brisbane River.

Drew subsequently subdivided these properties, setting up a signboard: ‘This is the village of Toowong’.

Drew donated land for the first Church of St Thomas the Apostle, built in Curlew Street, and was one of its original trustees.

When the church relocated and rebuilt on the corner of High and Jephson Streets, the church trustees returned the land to Drew’s widow Mrs Anne Drew. The title deeds had remained in Drew’s name.

  • 5 February 1863: Shepherd Smith purchased freehold land described as Portion 296 (50 acres in size) offered by the Crown by auction and located in the West Toowong area north of Stanley Terrace to Orchard Street and westwards from Bywong Street to Broseley Road, and also located along Toowong Creek.
  • 1876: The construction of the Brisbane to Ipswich railway line
  • 1874: Lawrence Howard Healy acquires a hotel licence for his newly built Regatta Hotel, a singe story wooden building with a general store and butcher shop attached.
  • May 1876: By this date William Munro has opened the Railway Hotel near the Toowong Railway Station on the corner of Booth Street and Moggill Rd. It seems he has purchased the building at auction and relocated it from Curlew Street to the corner of Booth Street and Moggill Rd
  • 1882-97: William Winterford purchases the Regatta Hotel and acquires the lease. In 1886 builds a new three storey building which stands today
  • 1879: Creation of the Toowong Divisional Board