Compiled by Philippa Stanford for TDHS
The suburb of Milton is thought to have been named after the house and farm owned by Ambrose Eldridge from the river to east of Cribb Street. He named his property ‘Milton’ after his birthplace, Greater Milton, near Oxford in England.
Milton – Key Dates
1824 – John Oxley, Surveyor-General for NSW camps on the river near Milton as part of a visit to look at possible settlement sites
1843 – the North Brisbane Burial ground was established at the current site of Suncorp Stadium
1853-4 – Milton House built by Ambrose Eldridge on high ground on the northern shore of the Milton Reach of the Brisbane River, east of Cribb Street.
1868 – the Bishopsbourne Anglican residence was built at 233 Milton Road for Brisbane’s first Anglican Bishop, Edward Tufnell.
1870 – The first church (Anglican) is established near the burial grounds (now Suncorp stadium)
1874 – Tram service established along Milton Road
1875 – the Brisbane to Indooroopilly (and Ipswich) railway line was opened, with a station at Toowong and Milton.
1878 – The Milton Distillery, later Castlemaine Perkins (Fourex) brewery opened
1888-9 – Cook Terraces constructed on Coronation Drive by Brisbane Builder Joseph Blain Cook as a two-storeyed brick row of six houses in 1888-1889.
1889 – Milton State school opens in 1889 on the site of Red Jacket Swamp which was drained to allow construction of the school. It was originally called Rosalie State Schoo, but soon changed its name.
1890 – first State of Origin match held at Lang Park
1913 – The Morrow biscuit factory opened in December 1913 on the north-east corner of Coronation Drive and Boomerang Street. This became Arnott biscuit factory in 1949
1914 – Milton State School gets a pool making it only the second school in Queensland to have a pool
1915 – Queensland Lawn Tennis Association formed its headquarters at Frew Park. across the road from Milton Park. The Milton Tennis Centre had 19 hard courts and four grass courts
1916 – old North Burial Ground Open is named Lang Park in 1916 and used for athletics, circuses and the accommodation of trenches during the war.
1930 – Milton Tramways Workshop established in Little Cribb Street
1956 – Frew Park hosted the Davis Cup
1964 – The Coronation Motel, The ‘Coro”, the in spot for functions and accommodation until it was demolished in 2002.
1988 – Savoir Faire precinct at Park Rd established with its iconic Eiffel Tower
1990s – Arnott’s Biscuit Factory moved to Geebung
1999– Milton Tennis Centre closes
2008 – Milton Bowl closes
2014 – Frew Park, including the Roy Emerson Tennis Centre, opens on the former Milton Tennis Centre and Milton Bowl site.
Bull, Lee. Lang Farm Estate Toowong: An 1877 subdivision and the people who made it home, 2019.
John, Pearn. Auchenflower: The suburb and the name, 1997.
John Pearn, ‘Auchenflower: the Suburb and the Name’ Amphion Press, 1997, p21
“Classified Advertising” The Brisbane Courier (Qld. : 1864 – 1933) 19 September 1864: 1. Web. 16 Sep 2021 <http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article1262147>.
“Milton”, Queensland Places. Centre for the Government of Queensland, University of Queensland, web, 16 Sep 2021, https://queenslandplaces.com.au/milton
“Milton – suburb of the City of Brisbane (entry 49246)”. Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved. 16 Sep 2021, https://www.resources.qld.gov.au/qld/environment/land/place-names/search#/search=Milton&types=0&place=Milton49246
Fisher, R & Shaw, B (Ed’s) People, Places and Progress. Brisbane History Group 1995
“Frew Park: former Milton Tennis Site”, Brisbane City Council, web, 16 Sep 2021, https://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/things-to-see-and-do/council-venues-and-precincts/parks/parks-by-suburb/milton-parks/frew-park-former-milton-tennis-centre-site
“Milton Heritage Trail”, Must Do Brisbane, web, 16 Sep 2021, https://www.mustdobrisbane.com/outdoors-walks-heritage-trails/milton-heritage-trail-milton
“Rosalie, Brisbane’s Forgotten Daughter”, A.T. Miles, presentation 23 October 1980, web, 16 Sep 2021, https://espace.library.uq.edu.au